Created in year 1986, .FI domains pertain to Finland. Formerly, .fi domains use was very limited because of the restrictions they had, so the initially growth was very slow. Since September 2003, the extension has grown rapidly due to its new open policy, becoming very popular among the Finnish population.
.FI domains are managed by FICORA.
Important: Both the characters contained in a domain name and protected names and trademarks are used as criteria for assessing whether the fi-domain name is lawful. Protected names or trademarks owned by another party prevent the registration of an identical domain name. Domain names that are too similar to another holder's name or trademark should not be reserved, either.
It is important to check that the fi-domain name is lawful before the registration. FICORA has the right to remove an fi-domain name identical or similar to a protected name or trademark if its holder requires the domain name to be removed from the fi-domain name register.
Rates and features
|Registration||12,95 €||1,2,3,4,5 year(s)||2 dominitis|
|Renewal||12,95 €||1,2,3,4,5 year(s)||2 dominitis|
|Restore||60,00 €||Does not include renewal||-|
|Domain length:||2 - 63 characters|
|Transfer system:||When the transfer ends, the expiration date doesn't change.|
Extension rules .fi
.fi domain life cycle
|Domain available||Domain active||Renew grace period||Domain available|
Permitted characters / IDN
.fi domains permit characters from 'a' to 'z', numbers from '0' to '9' and hyphens '-'.
A hyphen '-' is not permitted in the first or last position of the domain name.
Two consecutive hyphens are not permitted in the 3rd and 4th position.
IDN characters are permitted in .fi domains.
Permitted IDN character table for .fi domains
An Internationalized Domain Name (IDN) is a domain name that can contain non ASCII characters.
- Hyphen (-)
- Digits (0-9)
- Characters (a-z)
|Character||Unicode||HTML Code||HTML Number||Unicode Table|
|LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH ACUTE|
|LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH CIRCUMFLEX|
|LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH DIAERESIS|
|LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH RING ABOVE|
|LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH TILDE|
|LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH DIAERESIS|
|LATIN CAPITAL LETTER C WITH CARON|
|LATIN SMALL LETTER D WITH STROKE|
|LATIN SMALL LETTER ENG|
|LATIN SMALL LETTER S WITH CARON|
|LATIN SMALL LETTER T WITH STROKE|
|LATIN SMALL LETTER G WITH STROKE|
|LATIN SMALL LETTER G WITH CARON|
|LATIN SMALL LETTER K WITH CARON|
|LATIN SMALL LETTER EZH WITH CARON|
|LATIN SMALL LETTER EZH|
IDN domains don't permit to mix different Scripts or character sets (for example, Latin, Greek or Cyrillic).
But it's possible to use different character tables for a same script.
- The Latin Script permits the use of characters of Latin-1 supplement, Latin Extended-A, Latin Extended-B, etc.. tables.
- The Greek Script permits to combine characters of the Greek, Greek Extended, etc.. tables, doesn't permit combine them with the normal latin characters (a-z), but permits the use of numbers or hyphens.
- Other script types have their own corresponding tables.
This extension doesn't have any residency requirements.
.FI domains require the DNS to be active on different subnets and to be authoritative for the domain at the time of registration. You can check if they pass these minimum requirements using our Zone Check tool.
.fi domain registrations are immediate.
To be able to complete .FI domain transfers you'll need your current registrar to give you the domain's AuthCode or EPP-Key, with it you'll be able to verify your domain's ownership.
Transfers can take between 5 and 7 days to complete. Some registrars allow to accept transfers manually, contact your current registrar and find out if they offer this service, in this case the transfer will complete the same day.
When the transfer ends, the expiration date doesn't change.
The renewal of .FI domains is different than with other extensions.
It's necessary to request the domain renewal at least 1 days before the domain expiration.
In case the renewal request is done after this date, the correct renewal is not guaranteed.
It's possible to ask for the cancellation of your .FI domain, you'll have to do it opening a ticket (support area). Please note the domain cancellation involves no refund of the domain registration fee.
DNS modification is immediate, please note they must propagate through the network, this process can take up to 6-12 hours to complete, until then the domain will still point to the previous DNS servers.
We allow the usage of DNSSEC on .fi domains, thanks to it your domain will be able to take advantage of an additional security layer that DNS servers that are compatible with this tecnology can provide.
You can obtain more information at: What is DNSSEC and how does it work
Domain owner change
Ownership changes are done manually and have additional costs, contact us via ticket in case you're interested in it.
In this section you will find links to official documentation of the extension.
- .FI don't have extra documentation.
This extension supports:
- IDN Characters
- DNS Modification
- Special DNS requirements
- Whois Privacy
- Transfer lock
We are a FICORA accredited registrar.
- .eu European Union 6,95 € / year
- .me Montenegro 12,95 € / year
- .de Germany 7,95 € / year
- .uk United Kingdom 7,95 € / year
- .co.uk United Kingdom 7,95 € / year
- .nl Netherlands 7,95 € / year
- .ru Russian Federation 11,95 € / year
- .it Italy 7,95 € / year
- .pl Poland 4,95 € / year
- .fr France 8,95 € / year
- .al Albania 61,95 € / year
- .com.al Albania 61,95 € / year
- .at Austria 10,95 € / year
- .ax 89,95 € / year
- .be Belgium 7,95 € / year
- .by Belarus 79,95 € / year
- .ch Switzerland 17,95 € / year
- .com.cy Cyprus 180,95 € / year
- .cz Czech Republic 12,95 € / year
- .dk Denmark 14,95 € / year
- .ee Estonia 49,95 € / year
- .com.ee Estonia 49,95 € / year
- .es Spain 6,95 € / year
- .com.es Spain 2,95 € / year
- .nom.es Spain 2,95 € / year
- .org.es Spain 2,95 € / year
- .fo Faroe Islands 119,95 € / year
- .gg Guernsey 89,95 € / year
- .co.gg Guernsey 72,95 € / year
- .net.gg Guernsey 72,95 € / year
- .org.gg Guernsey 72,95 € / year
- .com.gi Gibraltar 290,95 € / year
- .gl Greenland 42,95 € / year
- .co.gl Greenland 42,95 € / year
- .com.gl Greenland 42,95 € / year
- .net.gl Greenland 42,95 € / year
- .org.gl Greenland 42,95 € / year
- .gr Greece 9,95 € / year
- .com.gr Greece 9,95 € / year
- .edu.gr Greece 9,95 € / year
- .net.gr Greece 9,95 € / year
- .org.gr Greece 9,95 € / year
- .hr Croatia 73,95 € / year
- .com.hr Croatia 9,95 € / year
- .hu Hungary 29,95 € / year
- .co.hu Hungary 29,95 € / year
- .ie Ireland 19,95 € / year
- .im Isle of Man 17,95 € / year
- .co.im Isle of Man 17,95 € / year
- .com.im Isle of Man 17,95 € / year
- .net.im Isle of Man 17,95 € / year
- .org.im Isle of Man 17,95 € / year
- .is Iceland 55,95 € / year
- .je Jersey 92,95 € / year
- .co.je Jersey 92,95 € / year
- .li Liechtenstein 17,95 € / year
- .lt Lithuania 21,95 € / year
- .lu Luxembourg 15,95 € / year
- .lv Latvia 12,95 € / year
- .com.lv Latvia 12,95 € / year
- .md Moldova, Republic of 149,95 € / year
- .mk Macedonia, the Former Yugoslav Republic of 85,95 € / year
- .com.mk Macedonia, the Former Yugoslav Republic of 85,95 € / year
- .no Norway 9,95 € / year
- .biz.pl Poland 4,95 € / year
- .com.pl Poland 4,95 € / year
- .edu.pl Poland 4,95 € / year
- .info.pl Poland 4,95 € / year
- .net.pl Poland 4,95 € / year
- .nom.pl Poland 4,95 € / year
- .org.pl Poland 4,95 € / year
- .shop.pl Poland 4,95 € / year
- .waw.pl Poland 4,95 € / year
- .pt Portugal 11,95 € / year
- .com.pt Portugal 11,95 € / year
- .ro Romania 9,95 € / year
- .com.ro Romania 9,95 € / year
- .rs Serbia 134,95 € / year
- .co.rs Serbia 99,95 € / year
- .org.rs Serbia 99,95 € / year
- .com.ru Russian Federation 14,95 € / year
- .se Sweden 12,95 € / year
- .si Slovenia 11,95 € / year
- .sk Slovakia 35,95 € / year
- .com.ua Ukraine 34,95 € / year
- .me.uk United Kingdom 7,95 € / year
- .org.uk United Kingdom 7,95 € / year